Long gone are those days when people used to have butler or security personnel to safeguard the entrance to your home. The world is getting minimalistic day by day and so does the security system of your apartment.
But in a sense, we’re lucky to have the plethora of options when it comes to picking up the best lock for apartment door. Done right, it can serve both purposes of safeguarding your family and goods and make your door look elegant on top of that.
As smooth as it sounds, don’t overlook the mammoth task of picking up the right lock that comes with utter protection, and an elegance- both in one place. Most of the time, it’s one wrong choice and you’re done!
However, as long as you can manage to go through this entire review on 7 of the best apartment door locks, you might not end up in regrets.
Top 7 Best Locks For Apartment Door
For starter, let’s start with a quick comparison of our top 7 picks –
1. Schlage FE595VCAM619ACC Camelot Keypad Entry
- This item is Schlage FE595VCAM619ACC Camelot keypad accent lever door lock,...
- Used for hardware, door, gate & window hardware accessories
- The product is manufactured in Mexico
The best thing that you can get out of a good quality apartment lock is- easy usability, tough protection, and an elegant design. We’re very fortunate to find out the jackpot product that provides three of them in one place. It’s called the Schlage FE595VCAM619ACC Camelot Keypad Entry.
As you can see in the image, it’s a Satin Nickel door lock with a lever handle, a keypad, and a typical key-keyhole system. On the other side(inside) there is an internal knob (flex lock) to lock it from inside. If you want to go simpler, you can have the other package that doesn’t come with the flex lock.
The multi-layer protection and a tough built- these are a couple of selling points that had turned it into many people’s favorite to secure their apartment, home office, garage, utility rooms, and so on.
Although, it’s not an automatic lock. But you need to preset the user codes that will let anyone enter. You can use up to 2 user codes, which is convenient for small families. In case you don’t have access to the code, you can use the key(provided) instead, and vice versa.
- Tough and unbreakable all-metal structure.
- Offers keys and passwords as unlocking measures.
- It comes with either the flex-lock or automatic lock.
- Suits to doors within 1-⅜”-1-¾”
- Reversible liver for using on both right and left-handed doors.
- Easy to set up, no programming required.
- Having only 2 combination keys might not be right for large families.
Considering the values and build strength the Schlage FE595VCAM619ACC Camelot Keypad Entry provides, we can definitely spot the sweet range of safety and durability it lies within. Providing both key-rick and keyless entry, it has taken the convenience of this product to the next level. On top of that, their highly elegant satin nickel outlook is the cherry on top.
Although it’s not the cheapest door security lock around, while you’re focusing on the security of your family and goods, you aren’t really looking for one, right?
2. Rulart Fingerprint Electric Smart Door Lock
When it comes to tech-rich home appliances and utilities, bio-metric identification is everywhere! So, why leave that feature in your apartment lock while you have the options? Well, the option that we’re talking about is called the Rulart Fingerprint Electric Smart lock for apartments, and people seem to love it all the way.
As the name suggests, it has an advanced fingerprint recognition system as it’s unlocking measure. On top of that, it has a dual mode operation- the locking mode and the channel mode for further usability.
It suits any door sizing within 35mm to 55mm, which is quite convenient for apartments these days. In case you don’t want to sweat a lot drilling and hammering the in a door lock installation, this door lock is the right one for you. To be honest, it’s one of the simplest one to install by even a non-locksmith user.
Lastly, it’s the minimalist, black design that we can’t help appreciating. Starting from modern apartment to home office- it would be the best automatic door lock that is a perfect fit in every shoe.
- Automatic, fingerprint unlocking.
- Comes with two models- the channel mode and lock mode.
- The dead bolt is quite adjustable.
- Suits any door within a 35-55mm size range.
- Easy and drilling-free installation.,
- It comes with an emergency USB charging port.
- A perfect alternative to typical single latch locks.
- Providing a set of keys for emergency unlocking would be appreciated.
If you’re used to the lifestyle where everything is simple, automatic, and hassle-free, we bet you can’t help falling in love with the Rulart Fingerprint Electric Smart Door Lock. It uses fingerprints as it’s unlocking key, and it’s simple but elegant. Hence, it’s the best smart door locks in this list.
But don’t judge its protection ability by the design and simplicity. When it’s about protecting intruders and burglars, it’s one of the toughest ones to break through. The absence of a keyhole is somehow, considered a plus point from this point of view.
3. Berlin Modisch Entrance Lever Door Handle
- Designed to complement both conventional and modern style interior doors...
- Includes a reversible handle that makes it perfect for fitting left or...
- Uniquely crafted door lever Entrance Set With 2 3/8 inch- 2 3/4 inch...
Usually, there are two separate purchases if you get to buy a door handle for your door, and a locking system to enhance the security of it. But thankfully, Berlin Modisch had made them into a perfect blend, which is called the Berlin Modisch Entrance Lever Door Handle.
Talking about the handle first, it’s a reversible (for both right-handed and left-handed doors) one with a gorgeous looking oil-rubbed bronze finish. This particular model doesn’t contain the deadbolt of the handle, but there is just another version of the product which has.
Moving on to the lock, we can see a simple but efficient thumb-turn interior knob that would require an exterior key to be opened from outside. The keys are, of course, provided with the purchase, and there is no additional installation required for activating it.
- A fine combo of door handle and lock.
- Reversible, convenient door handle.
- The lock would require a key to be opened from outside.
- An elegant finish made of oil-rubbed bronze.
- Comes with adjustable brackets for the sake of installation.
- Quite budget-friendly for a product like this.
- No electric/automatic feature provided.
This particular product is the perfect solution if you want to avoid extra expenses after separate door lock and its handle. If you’re an apartment dweller or even an office person, the Berlin Modisch Entrance Lever Door Handle can solve your security problems while you’re in or out of your place.
In case you don’t have one, getting the deadbolt along with the handle-lock system will make it to a 360-degree solution to your security problems. Also, if you don’t like the oil-rubbed bronze outlook, there is another alternative with a brushed nickel finish to consider.
Either way, it’s quite a good deal if you think about it.
4. Defender Security U 10827 Door Reinforcement Lock
- KEEP YOUR HOME SAFE – Designed to withstand 800 lbs. of force, this U...
- EASY INSTALLATION – The included 3” hardened screws make installation a...
- ADDITIONAL HOME SECURITY - Use this high security door reinforcement lock...
It’s quite a common scenario when you want to meet the ends of budget and value at the same time while getting a new apartment door lock. If you’re one of those budget buyers, in this case, the Defender Security U 10827 will be the perfect door lock you should consider buying.
The reason behind such a strong claim? Here goes a sneak peek of the features this lock comes with-
The elegant looking door lock comes with a force withstanding capability of up to 800 lbs. Kicking the door in or breaking it on pressure is something the burglars will never get away with. And this lock can provide such level of protection to doors of any thickness or any swing-in door you can name.
The spring-loaded design is both safe for children and resistant against tampering. If you look at the outer design, you’ll get to see a satin finished, tough nickel body with 3 inches stop. Installing it will require no locksmith if you have a little DIY-ship in yourself. There are three other colors available in this model, from which you can pick the right one up for your door.
Last but not least, you will get to avail all of these values within a very low-range price point, which is a rare thing in this competitive market.
- Tough design with Satin nickel finish.
- Child proof and resistant against tampering.
- Withstanding to force up to 800 lbs.
- Easy to install for any thickness of the door.
- Comes in four different colors.
- One of the most budget friendly door locks available.
- It would require drilling to install.
If you want not to spend a fortune and still secure a secure lock for your apartment, no other lock can compete with the Defender Security U 10827. It’s safe, elegant looking, and tough to beat even by the smartest of burglars. Keeping your family and valuable goods safe had never been more affordable with this security lock.
5. Addalock – (1 Piece) The Original Portable Door Lock
- The original portable door lock: Addalock is a portable door lock that can...
- Safety at home: The Addalock door lock provides additional safety and...
- Safety on the go: Take it with you when you travel whether you are in a...
While you (with or without family) are traveling somewhere, you might not trust the lock system provided on the door you’re living on a temporary basis. In fact, it’s quite happening that people get their security intruded in such places. The 1-piece portable door lock from Addalock will be the ultimate solution to such situations, and it will be one within a low budget.
Being a portable lock, the #1 selling point of this lock is how easy it is to be installed. There is a quick 5-step process to install this lock on virtually any kind of doors. Just test the fitting, insert the claws, hold it in position, and voila! It’s installed.
Apart from being easy to install, this portable lock comes with a tough resistance to any external forces from outside of the door. The highly pressure-enduring metal body comes with a storage pouch with the brand’s name on it. If you’ve been through experiences of being security-broken while you’re traveling, this lock might be saving your day from now on.
- Tough and un-bendable metal design.
- Simple, 5-step installation process.
- Easy to take off from the place.
- No tools/hardware required for installation.
- Comes with a storage pouch for easy carrying.
- 1-piece tough design with harmless edging.
- A perfect security comparison for travelers.
- Not something you can use permanently on your apartment door.
It’s such a good thing for Add-a-lock that they’ve focused on people who travel and demand an extra layer of security for their goods. And the way of providing that to those people is with this one-piece lock.
If you’ve been a traveler living in Airbnb or hotel/motel apartments, having this lock in your baggage might save your day from being stolen away or getting harmed badly.
6. Kwikset SmartCode 955 Keypad Electronic Lever Door Lock
- The SmartCode 955 electronic lever door lock has a robust metallic design...
- This lever is BHMA commercial grade 2 certified and BHMA certified AAA,...
- Property managers have 3 different options for locking modes that can fit...
When it’s about the security of your residence, you never mind going the extra mile with the door lock of your apartment. If so, very few of the available apartment locks in the market can beat our next lock in hand- the Kwikset SmartCode 955.
As the name already says, it’s a lock with an electric key with a passcode required to go through it. But that’s not all. It is, in fact, a three-mode lock where the modes are- auto-lock code mode, passage deadbolt unlocking mode and the disable passage mode. The codes can be customized up to 30 unique combinations of locking codes, giving it an accessibility to offices or such places where you’d have a handful of users.
As it’s an electric lock, it must run on batteries. The good thing is, the battery that Kwikset SmartCode 955 comes with, has a 3 years lifespan without asking for a single recharge. And if you point at the level of security it can provide, just think about the robust metallic design that can enhance the resistance of your door to a significant extent.
- Three modes of usage for three purposes.
- Up to 30 unique key combinations.
- Offers a robust and tough metallic design.
- It provides a choice from four available designs.
- Up to 3 years of battery life.
- Quite a budget-friendly model for locks of its kind.
- The installation might not be the handiest.
Having a good quality electric lock that checks all of the boxes of your demand, is not an easy pick. Thanks to Kwikset Store, for bringing the Kwikset SmartCode 955 up to break the barrier.
If you want to have a robust locking system that offers easy access (for people with the combination), and a tension-free electric lifespan, this lock can be the go-to of yours for either home apartment or office.
7. Dynasty Apartment Door Lock (3 Pack)
- Set Of 3 Vail Design Door Keyed Levers and 3 Deadbolts All Keyed To The...
- Deadbolts and Levers Are Keyed Alike - If You Order More Than 1 Set The...
- Includes 2-3/8-Inch-2-3/4-Inch adjustable backset latch
If you appreciate vintage-looking interior and exterior for your apartment home, why don’t you pick up a vintage looking door lock that comes with all the values that a good lock-handle system should? The next product in our list is something close to the description and it’s the Dynasty Hardware CP-VAI-US15.
Let’s have a sneak peek into what’s in the package. As a 360 degree solution to your door, this package has a set of a couple of levers, 4 deadbolts for installing from both outside and inside, and of course, a set of keys for the locks. If you are used to some locksmith-stuff, you can install it yourself, or call a locksmith to do it for you.
Either way, the value will be quite mesmerizing that you’ll receive. The door handle is reversible so that you can install it on both right-sided and left-sided doors. The lock system is called the ‘Schlage’ locks, along with a set of keys. The C-keyway that it comes with, can be used on other Schlage locks if you want. This quite solves the problems of losing a set of keys and leading to breaking the door itself to unlock the handle.
- Comes as a complete package of lock and handle system.
- Oil rubbed bronze outlook.
- It comes as a 3-pack solution for both inside and outside.
- Reversible door handle.
- It contains a C Keyway and a Schlage lock system.
- The key works with other Schlagle locks as well.
- The key-matching system might not be everyone’s favorite.
It’s a good thing that the Dynasty Hardware CP-VAI-US15 comes as a complete solution including two copies of each of the deadbolt, handle, and other installation accessories. If you want to buy both the lock and the handles in one place, this can be a good option.
However, the C-keyway is not the best key system around to provide some unbreakable security layers to your apartment door. But still, you can keep it in your shortlist, if you want to avoid the hassle of multiple purchases.
Buyer’s Guide for The Best Apartment Door Locks
If you’ve kept your eye on the 7 lock systems, we’ve explained so far, you might have understood that it’s a plethora of options to choose from. Hence, picking up the right one for your apartment door might come hectic.
In this regard, let us put some help to make you decide the right choice by this extensive buyer’s guide-
The Unlocking Measures
Often, this comes to be the #1 deciding factor in terms of price and other senses. Considering the market, there are three kinds of unlocking measures using –
- Traditional keys: most budget-friendly measure.
- Numeric combination: perfect for numerous users.
- Fingerprint: easiest and most convenient.
Now, we have put the list in terms of price as well. So, the first one will be a bit tough to deal with, if you have 10-20 people to unlock the door. But it would be the cheapest one. On the other hand, the last one is the easiest option but comes at a high price. And the second one lies in between these two.
Therefore, pick up the right one based on how easy and convenient you want it, and how many people you want to access the system.
The Built Quality
If the intruder or burglar misses to unlock or hack the key system, the next thing he would try is, breaking the lock by force. When it comes to resisting that approach, the thickness or toughness of the door is not enough. You need to have a tough and highly protective lock system as well.
Usually, the most convenient way to measure this strength is to check how many pounds of force the lock can withstand. But not all of the locks reveal this data.
In such cases, you can check out the material(metal) and thickness of the lock itself. This will give you a passive message of how tough it will be when someone provides a pushy force to break it out.
If this is quite an important factor for you, don’t hesitate to climb for a higher price point, as security comes first.
The Door Compatibility
Needless to say, that, if the lock you’ve bought for your apartment door does not suit the door, then the whole investment will go in vain. Therefore, check out the range of door thickness that each of the locks come with, and check for a perfect match to the thickness of your door.
The standard measure is- good quality apartment locks come with compatibility to doors within 30-60mm range. And this can deviate a bit from model to model. But fortunately, many of the doors come with a fair share of adjustability in this manner.
7 Tips to Get the Most Out of Your Apartment Door
In this section of this article, we’re going to highlight 7 handy tips that come into your help to ensure high-security front door locks –
- Each of the users should be provided with multiple access(key/passcode/fingerprint) if your door locks support so.
- Use high-quality hinges to the door to ensure top-notch safety for the door and the lock system.
- Based on what color your door is of, choose the color of your door lock system.
- Measure the door thickness in the unit of millimeter, and check for compatibility to the lock itself.
- If you want a complete solution, go for locks that come with the deadbolts along with the lock.
- Make a set of copies of the keys, if keys are the only means to unlock your apartment door.
- Beware of the warranty policy and make sure you can get the most of it when needed.
Best Apartment Door Locks FAQ
The most budget friendly locks for apartments are those which have a lock-only system. On the other hand, those with fingerprint unlocking are the priciest ones and they’re the best automatic locks around.
This is done simply by measuring the thickness of the door, and checking if it suits within the compatible range for the lock.
Most of the door locks would require a bit of drilling and tightening. If you’re okay with that, it won’t come hard for you.
That vastly depends on what color of the door you have already. From the given choices, you can make sure that the color of the lock and door come to be complementary for each other.
If you have a deadbolt from the earlier lock system, you won’t be need to replace the deadbolt. But if it’s a freshly installed door with the first lock on it, you would need one.
Pat your back. You’ve just finished reading a 3500 words article on 7 of the best locks for apartments, home offices, or similar entities. But we guess you have not just read the article, but picked up a few into your shortlist as well, right?
If positive, we hope that you have gone through our buyers’ guide to cross-check the factors that make it a perfect fit for your apartment door. Once done with the purchasing, we’d suggest you keep a sharp eye on the installation process. If that goes wrong, you can end up causing permanent damage to your beloved apartment door.
Having all that said, good luck once again in picking up the best door locks for home security!
Leave a Reply